Fellow role-players, here are my notes for Session 4 of our D&D5e game, which was held on Sunday, 15 February 2015:
Player Characters for the “Land of Lost Souls,” Dexter V.H.’s telecom fantasy miniseries, using Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition, AD&D2/D&D3.5 Dragonlance, the Forgotten Realms, Palladium Fantasy, Obsidian Portal, Skype, and the Rolz.org dice roller, as of spring 2015:
- “Kalidren ‘Cal’ Haraishur” [Gene D.]-male Qualinesti (Sylvan Elf) Paladin of Kiri-Jolith, god of valor; folk hero and a potential member of the Legion of Steel; LGn, Lvl. 2
- “Sakan Agramon Majere/Sam” [Beruk A.]-male Irda (High Ogre) Ranger, charlatan disguised as a human; TNc, Lvl. 2
- “Redrik Stoneflow” [Byron V.O.]-male Neidar (Hill Dwarf) Cleric of Paladine, god of justice; outcast, guild artisan, and silversmith; LGn, Lvl. 1
- “Maddie Moonfang” [Sara F.C.]-female wolfing Barbarian, skin changer from the plains and former thrall of an evil wizard; TNc; Lvl. 2
- “Perogen Hawke” [Josh C.]-male human Wizard of the White Robes, sage; NGc, Lvl. 2
- “Rowan Kar-Thon” [Geoff C.]-male Half-Elf Skald (Bard), outlander and storyteller; NGc, Lvl. 2
- “Santiddio Sefrayn” [Bruce K.]-male Half-Elf Rogue (thief), charlatan and professional treasure seeker; CNg, Lvl. 2
- “Enyilarur Skilelo” [Drew S.]-male brass Draconian Eldritch Knight (Dragonborn Fighter), noble and arcanist, with three reptilian retainers; CGn, Lvl. 2
After warning their respective superiors about the rising darkness, the travelers regrouped to evacuate the village of Winter’s Edge ahead of an approaching humanoid army. They met a Dwarf and a few Draconians, as well as a Half-Orc who might be related to the King Obould. They also spotted a dragon in the distance.
Skilelo pulls a wolf off the second dark-skinned Elf the group has recently encountered. Maddie returns to human form, and Santiddio resists the Drow woman’s charms and ties her up. Cal casts Detect Evil and verifies the spy’s hostile intent.
Sam and Maddie go to sweep the perimeter of their camp in the Kharolis Mountains. They follow some tracks and find a wounded snow leopard with her two cubs.
Perogen is unfamiliar with the Dark Elf, and his Detect Magic reveals faint extraplanar traces. The Wizard also feels lightheaded, so Redrik casts Purify Food and Drink to ensure that the Drow hasn’t poisoned their provisions.
Rowan chats with Half-Orc Root and Skilelo’s Draconian squire, cook, and porter/messenger. Santiddio confiscates the Elf’s armor and jewelry and tries to interrogate the haughty prisoner.
Meandrea says that Lolth is her mistress and defiantly claims that her people will soon dominate “lesser races.” When the Drow starts muttering or chanting, Perogen smacks her and gags her before she can cast any more spells.
Among Meandrea’s magic items is a spider amulet, which Redrik tries to smash with his hammer. The strange metal sparks but remains undamaged. The Cleric switches to fire and holy water, to no effect. He then wraps up the amulet and a Charm brooch with a face on it.
Meanwhile, Sam and Maddie find that the snow leopard is fatally poisoned by darts, presumably from the Drow’s hand crossbows. The Ranger and Barbarian bury the mother and take a cub each (one male, one female) to safety.
After regrouping, the adventuring party makes a forced march from Windweavers to Thorbardin. Scouts Sam and Maddie take point, followed by armored Cal and stealthy Santiddio.
Spellcasters Redrik and Perogen ride behind them, and Meandrea is tied to the cart bearing Skilelo and his entourage. Rowan and Root take the rearguard through the mountains.
Several miles into their hike, Sam and Maddie see five Goblins riding wargs. Eager to avoid scouts for the Orcish army, the caravan makes a detour. It eventually arrives at the massive North Gate of Thorbardin, the Dwarven capital.
A group of sentries rides out on rams. Retnu Greybeard, a captain of the guard, talks with Redrik and Perogen in Neidar (Hill Dwarven). The priest of Paladine and the white-robed mage explain that they have come to warn the city about an approaching Orcish horde.
Retnu tells the newcomers to wait in the outer city while he gets word to the proper authorities. They check into the Dragon Forge Inn. Abstemious Cal tries to order a salad, but boisterous Redrik gets the Sylvan Elf drunk on strong ale.
Sam and Maddie make sure the leopard cubs are fed. Perogen asks Redrik to order him some ale. Santiddio goes out to the stable to check on Rowan, the Draconians, Root, and Meandrea.
Two soldiers arrive and tell the tavern regulars to leave. Princess Eina enters and listens to Redrik’s report. She sends for a priest of Reorx, the metal forger, to dispose of the Drow’s amulet and brooch.
The princess notices that Perogen is a rare human in Thorbardin. He says that he came from a port town. She also tells Sam to reveal his true form. The Irda shifts into a Wild Elf, and Eina disdainfully dismisses him.
The visitors turn Meandrea over to the Dwarves, who order them to wait until summoned. The Half-Elves are annoyed that they are not able to enter Thorbardin proper, but Cal needs to sleep off his drink.
While they wait, Perogen analyzes the Drow’s chain shirt, which is made of the same hard metal as the amulet and brooch. The group divides the remaining spoils:
- Armor, Elven chain — Maddie or Rowan?
- Bracers of Archery — Sam
- Cloak of Elvenkind — Santiddio
- Crossbows, hand, 2 masterwork — Sam, Perogen
- Daggers, 2 masterwork — Cal, Redrik
- Poison, 1 vial, lethal — Santiddio
The team waits impatiently in the tavern and wonders how it can help fight the growing gloom in the Wayreth Forest, Obould’s Orcs, and Drow infiltrators….