Fellow role-players, here are my notes for “Vanished Lands” Session 40.47, which was held on Sunday, 26 July 2015:
Long ago in a distant land, spirits and men directly traded bamboo, silk, and steel. Wars to the west, twisted monsters, and power-hungry sorcerers threatened the eastern kingdoms, so the call went out for new heroes of honor and tact….
Player Character Party 40 in Gene D.’s “Vanished Lands: A New Dawn” Asian-style telecom campaign, using AD&D1/D&D3.0 Oriental Adventures, Pathfinder, and FATE 3e Legends of Anglerre, plus house rules, Skype, and an online dice roller, as of summer 2015:
- “Moon Jung-Mo” [Dexter V.H.]-male Nannuattan Ninja (Msamaki; eastern Dark Elf Assassin) who has left the Shadow’s Claw clan and is posing as a River Spirit Folk (eastern Grey Elf) merchant; with a young wyvern Niruth; LNg, Lvl. 10
- “Souji Nobuto ‘Sonny’ Yoshimitsu” [Beruk A.]-male Shengtese Tian Kensai (eastern human weapon master) from a dishonored house in the Lion Clan, specializing in chain weapons; with talking horse Yip; LNg, Lvl. 10
- “Toshiharu ‘Toshi’ Sembutsu” [Byron V.O.]-male Shan Sao Wu Jen (eastern Halfling Wizard) with tiger companion Amaya and a destiny; NGc, Lvl. 10
- “Ember Talon” [Sara F.]-female Crane Hengeyokai Wu (shapeshifting Druid), actually a young gold dragon banished from the Celestial Court; NGl, Lvl. 10
- “Soske’ Tiatoshe” [Geoff C.]-male Shengtese Tian Shukenja (eastern human Cleric), priest and animist from the Phoenix Clan, prophesied to do great things but plagued by family and ancestor spirits; LNg, Lvl. 10
- “Saigo Kasugi” [Bruce K.]-male Bamboo Spirit Folk Samurai (eastern Sylvan Elf Cavalier) discreetly serving his daimyo; LNg, Lvl. 10
- “Tokoro Gawa” [Drew S./departed]-male carp Hengeyokai Hulinyuan (amphibious shapeshifting Ranger) seeking to protect streams; with otter companion Mala; CGn, Lvl. 10
“22 to 25 August 1227 B.C.E.:” The adventuring party defeated a demon at a ruined pagoda, and it learned from a geisha about more lieutenants of the chaos dragon it has been hunting. A Kitsune assassin confessed to killing a local priestess as ordered by Ninja Desc Soo-Ann, whom the team found and slayed.
The onetime diplomatic escorts continue hiking north into the Bamor Mountains. Jung-Mo scouts ahead, and Saigo rides his steed next. Sonny talks with his horse Yip and wonders if tribute from the dragon’s followers took this trail.
Sonny also notes that Kenmotsu Masashi, the mayor of Hei Kuan, may have fled in this direction after the scheme to sacrifice villagers to the Yao-Mor (demon) was revealed. There is no initial sign of the Bamboo Spirit Folk (eastern Sylvan Elf) and his panther-headed aide.
Toshi rides tiger Amaya and tells his companions of recent spells — a scroll of Permanancy for See Invisible for himself and a Contingency of turning Invisible if he is seriously wounded.
Ember watches Niruth, Jung-Mo’s young wyvern. Although the Druid shares some dragon lore, she doesn’t know a lot about a Chole Lung (chaos dragon). Soske’ and Toshi study maps of the Dragon Pass.
Saigo sees a shadow fall across the rocky path between Jung-Mo and him. The Samurai signals the team, which slows. Ember and Soske’ spot a full-grown wyvern with a humanoid rider circling around.
The Oni dismounts, hovers, and casts Rock to Mud, slowing those on the ground. The wyvern dives as Ember shifts to crane form. Wu Jen Toshi casts Fly on Saigo, while Amaya climbs out of the mud.
Samurai Saigo looses an arrow before switching to his sword in midair. Meanwhile, Invisible Ninja Jung-Mo maneuvers to higher ground. Shukenja Soske’ casts Protection From Evil on himself and Ember.
Kensai Sonny jumps clear of his horse and the muddy trail. The Oni, Gu Hyong-Kim, levitates rocks and hurls them at Toshi and Soske’. Saigo dodges the lightning breath of wyvern Gwang Mi-Ja.
Ember casts Silence at the Ogre Mage, who resists. The Oni is less successful against Toshi’s Lightning Arc and Sound Lance. Saigo repeatedly slashes at Gu Hyong-Kim, as Jung-Mo tosses poisoned darts. Soske’ and Sonny shoot more arrows at the Earth Yai.
Gu Hyong-Kim pushes Saigo away with Repel Metal and conjures stone spikes against Toshi. Gwang Mi-Ja attacks Saigo.
Hengeyokai Ember casts Protection From Lightning on Saigo, closes while Wild Shaped as a falcon, and starts a Summon Storm ritual. Shan Sao Toshi casts maximized Magic Missiles at the Oni.
Nannuattan Jung-Mo poisons the wyvern, paralyzing it and forcing it to crash. Shengtese human Soske’s Flame Strike injures the Oni, whom Spirit Folk Saigo then subdues. Shengtese Sonny verifies that the wyvern is dead.
Saigo secures prisoner Gu Hyong-Kim, and Jung-Mo and Sonny strip the Oni and wyvern of the following gear:
- great club (masterwork Kanabo) 2d8 — Sonny holding for party
- bracers of Armor + 2 — Ember claims
- 200 tael (100 gold pieces) — party fund
- leather wyvern saddle — Jung-Mo claims
- ring of Regeneration (+ 1 HP/rd) — Saigo claims
In addition, Saigo gives Jung-Mo hollow-point arrows, Sonny a potion of Levitation, and Ember an eggshell grenade. The Samurai threatens Gu Hyong-Kim, who tries to Meld Into Stone to escape.
However, quick-thinking Jung-Mo uses his ring of Stone Shape to keep the Oni from escaping. Sonny hogties the Earth Yai, who is confident that his master Kaosu Uirumu will prevail. As prophesied, Toshi executes the prisoner.
The wanderers venture deeper into the dragon’s territory, as the landscape grows twisted around them. They consider sending Jung-Mo in disguise as Gu Hyong-Kim to lure the dragon from his lair.
Sonny likes the idea of taking on the chaos dragon away from its stronghold and remaining minions, and Toshi offers to cast Animal Growth so that Niruth can impersonate Gwang Mi-Ja.
Ember isn’t happy about fighting a fellow dragon, but she notes that Kaosu Uirumu most likely comes from the Abyss rather than the Celestial Court.
Soske’ is quiet as he contemplates the possible end of his quest, while Saigo is eager to avenge his grandfather, who was ambushed and captured for a time in the Dragon Pass….
It was good to see everyone online, and I’m glad that Skype and your tactics worked well. Don’t forget to work on your characters for our upcoming higher-level D&D5e campaign!