Fellow role-players, here is my update for Session 42.4 of our higher-level D&D5e telecom game, which was held on Sunday, 25 October 2015:
In one ancient world, there was a place where strange majicks and demihumans thrived. The “Vanished Lands” were blessed by the gods and cursed by prophecy. Travelers became adventurers, and adventurers strove to be heroes in the face of many perils and wonders.
Sometime after a group of former circus performers wandered aboard the airship Zephyr and a team of diplomatic escorts fought chaos in Tong Sheng, another crew gathered on the Sea of Nagendwa, and past heroes reunited….
- “Bellanora of Doru” [Dexter V.H.]-female Mountain Dwarf Paladin devoted to Vulkan, with gryphon steed Dai-ru; LG, Lvl. 10
- “Kunal Sampat Rajiv Ramaprased” [Beruk A.]-male Harrappan (proto-Indian) human Rogue and cook, member of the (D&D3.5) “Broken Chains”; NGc, Lvl. 10
- “Melchior Merryman” [Byron V.O.]-male Saganim/Hifalendorin human Cleric of Ulandt, hunter of Undead, former member of the (D&D3.0) “Seekers of Lore” and associate of (D20/FATE) “Vistel’s Expedition”; NGl, Lvl. 10
- “Amethyst IronSoul” [Geoff C.]-male Warforged battle master (Construct Fighter) and mercenary leader; LNg, Lvl. 10
- “Corwin Windsong” [Bruce K.]-male Half-Elf Bard, wandering Saganim prince, valiant arcane warrior, and mandolin player, member of “Vistel’s Expedition”; CNg, Lvl. 10
- “Ember Talon” [Sara F./absent]-female Crane Hengeyokai Wu (shapeshifting Druid), actually a young gold dragon banished from the Celestial Court (see D20/FATE “A New Dawn”); NGl, Lvl. 10
- “Eoghan, son of Kyndeyrn” [Josh C./absent]-male Half-Elf (Saganim human/Fey-touched) Warlock (formerly Bard), associate of the “Broken Chains”; CGn, Lvl. 10
Amethyst swings his maul at a Skaevingol (Viking-style) human Barbarian and ripostes against a skeletal Minotaur. Corwin creates three more Mirror Images. Bellanora wheels overhead on Dai-ru, her gryphon steed. She had already destroyed Irena Keshkova, a Vistani vampire.
The Barbarian, Fjodor Valisson, is unable to hit Amethyst, but hopping vampire Jeung Kum-Ja destroys one of Corwin’s illusory duplicates. Minotaur Storn Redeyes misses Amethyst, as Wolfen Solveig Lodbjorn hits Corwin.
Cleric Melchior misses Jeung, while Fighter Amethyst damages Fjodor with a sonic attack and taunts him. Bard Corwin draws two swords and slashes Solveig.
Bellanora hurls her holy hammer at the Wight and fails to turn him. However, the hopping vampire flees from the Paladin’s holy symbol of Vulkan (Moradin).
Amethyst finishes off Storn. Corwin lends Bardic Inspiration to Kunal and Bellanora, who leaps from Dai-ru to destroy Wight Solveig. Fjodor declines Amethyst’s demand to surrender and swings his great sword.
Jeung Kum-Ja tries to hop away, but Kunal and Corwin give chase. Skeletal Storn chops at Amethyst with a glaive. Quick-thinking Kunal throws a makeshift lasso around the hopping vampire and ties the other end to an Immovable Rod.
The Rogue then backstabs her with his Frost dagger before Melchior destroys her with Shadow Bolts. Amethyst gets his second wind to recover from the Minotaur’s blow. The Warforged eventually slays Fjodor.
Bellanora remounts her gryphon and sees a swarm of bats approaching. Melchior tells his new allies to meet at the prearranged rendezvous point, Gisar’s temple of Brijitt, goddess of fire and poetry.
Corwin casts Detect Magic to loot the fallen foes. He and Kunal retrieve the following items:
- Skaevingol Barbarian Fjodor Valisson: Great sword (+1, +3 vs. Lawful), 30 platinum pieces, 50 gold pieces
- Skeletal Minotaur Storn Redeyes: Glaive (2d8+2 damage)
- Wolfen Wight Solveig Lodbjorn: Katars (2 punching daggers, +2, Necrotic +1d6)
Vampires Irena Keshkova and Jeung Kum-Ja leave no treasure. Corwin claims the coins and katars, while Amethyst takes the great sword and glaive. Dwarf Bellanora turns north to evade the bats, and Suthern human Kunal returns to the rooftops to meet Melchior.
Melchior uses Shadow Jumping and a cloak of Darkness to approach Brijitt’s temple. The human priest of Ulandt, goddess of the night, sees an angry mob gathered outside. It includes Barbari human warriors, shaggy humanoids, and spellcasting nobles.
Bellanora wonders about what is going on when she sees the flames from the temple siege and turns around on Dai-ru. Kunal extinguishes some of the fires with his Decanter of Endless Water and signals to the others.
Corwin, who still hopes to thwart his half-brother Prince Daven, Teleports to Melchior with Amethyst. The temple’s magical wards are still intact, but Skaevingol and Tsucharim (Mongol-style) archers are raining arrows upon it. Bugbears, Gnolls, and Oni (Ogre Mages) plunder surrounding buildings, and Vistani (proto-Slavic) vampires control the crowd.
Bellanora flies low to avoid detection, as Kunal tells the others that they should rescue whoever is left inside Brijitt’s temple. Melchior fires a crossbow bolt of Silence, neutralizing six of the 40 enemy spellcasters.
Corwin dons his hat of Disguise to look like a Gnoll and casts Stoneskin on himself. Amethyst would rather leave, but Saganim (proto-Celtic) citizens Melchior and Corwin offer to pay him to stay and help. But first, the group must stay ahead of the attackers and get past the wards to enter the temple….